A Happy Go Lucky story


Cary, Happy, Yeri and me in the car to the mountains

It is a bliss to be surrounded by great people, and that is something I try to as much as I can, being it work related, friends or family. They inspire me to be good and do good and that is something a lot of people seem to forget now and again.
In Kathmandu, I am very lucky to be surrounded by lots of volunteer workers, charity staff and other people here for the same reasons - trying to make a difference for the better.
Two of those magical people are Yeri and Cary, and luckily they enjoy to put on the hiking boots just like me :)

Lucky behind the wheel
Yesterday I also had the honours to get to know Happy and Lucky who are two lovely dogs from Africa, when their daddy Cary, Yeri and myself went hiking in the hills south of Kathmandu.
These two fury lovelies live in Kathmandu with Cary, as he brought them over to here from Uganda.
They are a special breed of African street dogs which has over the years quite interestingly developed a resistance to a lot of diseases. They are said to be an old mix of various African breeds.

There was a love affair going until he burped her in the face..

Even if this day was full of great views, mountains, fresh air and steep uphill treks, what sticks with me the most is the butterfly effect of being caring and kindhearted.


Happy not interested in the view of Kathmandu Valley

Lucky, an Ugandan female dog who got pregnant and gave birth to a litter of puppies. Unfortunately, Lucky's first human daddy wasn't a very kind person, and he was hitting Lucky and her puppies so they had multiple broken bones in their little bodies.

A Happy dog
Only Happy survived from that litter, although scarred physically and mentally, and with a few broken bones that had to heal. The mother and son found a rescue centre Uganda SPCA and were later taken care of by a friendly dog trainer that managed to make them regain trust and able to be lovely pets for a humane human. Cary was then based in Uganda and got to know them after being they had been an adding love to a family for a year, and they both came home with him.
When he moved to Nepal, they obviously had to come with him as family does, and they are now enjoying their lives in Kathmandu, with lots of love and care.

This was the first day for me with Happy and Lucky, and I grew very fond of them both, especially the very cuddly girl, Lucky.

They are happy, cheerful little creatures and we all enjoyed their company on the hike as they added so much fun. Animals have personalities and when the characteristics come out, it is all so funny to see.

I think the best of yesterday was when Yeri was teasing the dogs with a rubber band during snack time and Happy suddenly burps in her face - karma sucks, hey..
Or when the same Happy eats a banana out just like we would do, check him out below :)





I can't stop thinking what would have come of these two dogs if someone hadn't found them and cared for them. Given them a chance to become Lucky and Happy. This methodology is pretty much on point of what we should all do for everyone around us.


Give that someone a chance to show what they are capable of, trust and believe in them, be humane and don't be afraid to get disappointed. At least you tried.
I have people very close to me that live much by this principle, and doesn't give up too soon with supporting and trying.

Some you win, some you lose, but they all know you made an effort for them and you believed in them.

I would also like to send some extra love to the special people I personally know who are looking after animals like Happy and Lucky;

Eve Clifton in Portugal - you are an absolute superhero for having saved all these dogs and cats and for your persistent push to save more.
Mikael Lindnord in Sweden - saving Arthur and committing to him by taking him home from Ecuador to Sweden showed the world what great hearts you and your family have.


And of course, to the love of my life, my Bobby, my own rescue cat from London Battersea Cats & Dogs. I love you to the moon and back, little man.









Let me finish of with a quote from one of my favourite gurus of all times, Mr Dalai Lama.

Love and light,
Jen xx






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picnic and dry waterfalls

Thank you!

The mountains are calling me again!