Day 1: Poon Hill trek in Annapurna! I think I am going to die the stairs death..

Have you ever looked up a mountain and thought, "yes, lets walk up 50 million steps to the lovely village on the other side of the mountain"? You haven't? Didn't think so... I just did that today and it was as much fun as it sounds.. but it is very rewarding to ascend, and Jen is going for the top!

The day started with a first stop at the pole shop, and the sales man was there and could show us how to use my Star-Wars-saber-kind-of-trekking poles.. was dead easy when you know how to do it!
Then the taxi started to drive up the mountains in the pouring rain. Yes, pouring, not drizzling. The higher we got, the thicker the fog. I was quite scared a few times, as we literally saw nothing. People, bikes, cars, cliffs just turned up.. But the driver knew the road and Gopal was calm in the front seat, so me and Padam were both calm in the back seat. The guide is the boss and I decided there and then that he now decides over my life for the next 5 days.
Not so great views yet on this trek..
We arrived to Naya Pol, where the trek to Poon Hill starts. This trek is not the most challenging one and it only takes 5 days, which is relatively short in the Himalayas where most treks are 10-14 days. The highest we will go is Poon Hill, which is 3200m, so that is also not so high and I hope my altitude sickness sensitivity wont kick in. I have stocked up with my brother Peter's best food supplement from Kyani, which are drops you take that helps the oxygen to circulate etc. He is 200% sure this will help me, so I am very willing to try.
Gopal leading the way!

Padam looking strong

Me and Padam




















After an hour of walking today, we got to the lunch place where my feast was noodles with chicken. I am always amazed how good food tastes when out in the wilderness. Or wilderness, its pretty civilized here with all the
guest houses where we will eat and sleep, its wild in between the stops rather..
I met two German youngsters, maybe in the early 20's if that, who decided to trek for 3 weeks around the Annapurna Circuit without a guide just following the guide book. I was quite shocked, as I would never do that for many reasons. One being security, 2nd being that its much more fun with a local who can tell you everything about the area and 3rdly I want to support the tourism! Everyone wins :)

"Up to the top and then to the back and around, up and down, Nepali flat.." Gopal explains the trek..



Very pretty by the lunch place..
After a nice chat and lunch, we started again. Gopal showed where we were going and it was literally up the hill. We started and soon all I could think of how I wouldn't walk in one set of stairs when coming back! Seriously, how many steps can there be? Why not keep the trail natural..?

My place this eve
After a few hours and millions (not really, but it felt like it) of steps later, we arrived to our first destination; Ghandruk!

View from my room
Ghandruk is a village on 2000m, and on a sunny day (which is not today) the views are amazing. I cant really tell unfortunately. But its beautiful, and I am starting to forget about the millions of steps I have done today. Nima texted me to check in on me to see how all was going, and he sent a smiley and said that there were many more steps waiting.. Great.. Oh well, this is Nepal and even if I moan about the steps, I do love this place.


My next door neighbours at the top floor of the guest house are Polish people who are here to help at the school for some time. I am in good company for sure.
My back has also held up, its just my hamstrings and gluts that are complaining, but that is to expect after this treatment.. Lets see tomorrow!



I am off to my dinner which today will be spaghetti and Gopal keeps saying I should try the hot water - I dont understand why I should drink hot water without anything like tea of coffee? Maybe he is a bit mental? No, I dont mean that of course, but a bit strange is it to drink "hot water"unless you feel cold..?

Over and out!
Jen xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picnic and dry waterfalls

Thank you!

The mountains are calling me again!