Day 3 - The Fishtail & Co playing peek-a-boo!

05.48 - that was the time when I opened the two blue this morning. I was laying in my sleeping bed, comfortably warm and listening to the noises from the people in the house. One thing that is always a given here is that the village wakes up early. I can also hear the birds, and I wonder if birds sing in the rain or...
"Jennie, Jennie!" followed by "knock, knock" on the door! Its Gopal calling for me, and I realize that my thought was right; the weather must have cleared and there was something waiting outside for me..!
Annapurna South
Machupucchare, The Fish Tail..
I was out of bed in 2 seconds and jumped into my boots in my PJs, and out we went. Gopal said he wanted to take the chance as there was a bit of a view. And he was right. The big Machapuchare, also known as The Fish Tail mountain, with its majestic look and height of 6,993 m was out of the clouds, as well as Annapurna South, 7,219 m.. I always feel so astonished when I see views like this, I feel total respect and some kind of gratitude for them to show themselves for me.
Photos never make them justice but lets try to show some of them to you..

I had breakfast with a view, literally. The weather cleared up and we started walking down hill again, and Gopal did one of his funny moves again - showing me where we were going. It was the next hill, but first we needed to reach the river at the bottom of the valley, then up again.. Proper Nepali flat.
The view from Tada Pani
But you quickly forget the steps and the hard physical pressure when you walk through jungle, Rhododendron forests.. Its just so heavenly beautiful. I love it. We reached the river and we met a Chinese lady there who to me seemed a bit lost in translation. I think many people go on treks like these and harder ones too, believing its a simple walk in the park. It is not impossible, its not too hard, but it is definitely not easy. Read up on your trek, the culture, the food to expect, the weather...
Early risers, well worth the view!
We kept on walking and finally reached the top of the hill where we could enjoy a great view, and Gopal pointed out a village far far away. There we would be in 2 days. Awesome. Its like - MILES AWAY!
The Queen of our lunch place, sooo cute










We reached our lunch place, and the sun was then out completely, clear blue skies. The Swede of course sits down in the sun, enjoys it fully in the rather quiet time of day. Then the people started to come. There were Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Norwegians, Danes, Germans, Canadians.. Some totally chilled, some not as much, some geared up to their teeth with the latest stuff, some thinking they are on an All-Inclusive Cruise and all should be served.. I did feel sorry for some of the guides, cant be easy to deal with some of the clients.. "I dont eat rise, I dont like noodles, I want Diet Coke or Diet Soda. No Diet Soda" They seem to have forgotten they are in the mountains. Eat what you are offered. Or maybe its me, I just think one should enjoy the local culture and embrace it.
Rhododendron forest
I am getting good at spotting nationalities though, its rather fun. And as Gopal knows a bit of most languages, he can correct me. Funniest was the Dane who wanted to walk in his mini shorts, top off. He was kindly advised to put it on, but didn't get the Nepalese politeness telling him to PUT IT ON!
The guides were tired and needed rest...
We continued through an amazing Rhododendron forest, almost like it was planned and planted like this. Fog and mist were coming in when we were close to reach our home for the night, Ghorepani on 2,855 m. As we walked in to the village, me and Padam instantly agreed that it looks a lot like Namche Bazaar in the Khumbu (Everest) region.



Again, a really nice guest house but cold. I am never cold which most my friends can confirm, but Gopal doesn't believe me. Man am I freezing around this place! It pretty normal with the altitude, but saying that, we are not really that high up...
We got dinner and the now obligatory Tato Pani "hot water" or "mountain medicine".. this is of course home brewed alcohol, which tastes different every day but still somehow nice. Padam says no, he doesn't like it, but me and Gopal share a drink. Or two. Or three. It kind of grows on you.
This evening we also met a fellow trekker, a French woman who was on her 16th day in Annapurna on her own. She had decided not to go with a guide. I would find that rather lonely, and scary. My biggest pleasure with Gopal and Padam is that I have nice company, local knowledge, safety and I also support the tourism. These guys need to earn a living and the villages as well. The earthquake demolished so much, and we need to rebuild the country and this is one part of it that needs support as well.
Oh well.... after a couple or three cups of mountain medicine, we all feel ready to sleep. Tomorrow, we are praying for good clear weather, as we will get up at 5am to start to walk up to Poon Hill on 3.200 m to hopefully view the amazing mountains during sunrise. Gopal has been bragging about how he this morning paid good bribes to the mountains to show themselves, lets hope he still has the gift.

Good night world, I am fine. More than fine. And a little bit drunk.
Jen xx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picnic and dry waterfalls

Thank you!

The mountains are calling me again!